|Date of first acceptance||1952||Total acceptances||250+|
|Manufacturer||Massey Harris Co.||Crew||
|Height over canvas top||122.5"
|Length without howitzer||242.5"
|Howitzer overhang forward||0"|
|Ground pressure, zero penetration||10.2psi
|Type||Mount||Ammunition||Traverse||Max traverse rate||Elevation||Max elevation rate|
|155mm Howitzer M45||M80 in superstructure front||24 rounds||60°
(30° left or right;
manual and hydraulic)
|10°/sec||+65° to -5°
(manual and hydraulic)
|.50cal M2HB MG||Flexible on turret ring mount||900 rounds||360°
|Rolled homogeneous steel|
|Location||Thickness||Angle from vertical|
|52° and 81°|
|40° and 66°|
|Engine||Continental AOS-895-3; 6 cylinder, 4 cycle, opposed, supercharged gasoline|
|Torque||Net: 890 ft-lb@2200rpm
Gross: 955 ft-lb@2400rpm
|Transmission||Allison CD-500-3, 2 ranges forward, 1 reverse|
|Type||Road wheels||Track return rollers|
|Torsion bar||5 individually sprung dual/track||4 dual/track|
|Drive sprockets||Idlers||Shock absorbers||12-tooth front drive||Trailing at rear of track||On first, second, and fifth road wheels/track|
|Center guide, single pin, steel with detachable rubber pad|
|Shoes/track||Left side: 74
Right side: 75
|Ground contact length||149.4"
|Max level road speed||35mph
|Max grade||60%||Max vertical obstacle||30"
|Min turning diameter||Pivot||Max fording depth||42"
|Cruising range||~75mi, roads
The M44 was based on components of the 76mm gun tank M41, and its designation was changed from a "howitzer motor carriage" to "self-propelled howitzer" on 30 April 1951. The limited-traverse howitzer was mounted in an open-topped barbette, and all crew members were in this superstructure as well. The driver's position was at the front of the barbette to the left of the howitzer. The power train was at the front of the vehicle, driving through front sprockets, and the turret was to the rear. The trailing idler was larger than the standard road wheels by 2.5" (6.4cm), and the rear track return roller was larger than the others as well.
When powered by the AOSI-895-5 engine, which was an AOS-895-3 fitted with fuel injection kits, the M44 was known as M44A1. The M44A1's road range increased to around 82 miles (130km).